Who We Are
There are lots of misconceptions and beliefs that are floating through our culture today. You can attend a variety of churches and hear a variety of “takes” on what the Bible says. At WRBC we as a congregation are built on the foundation of the Bible, God’s Word. Take a few moments to take a look at what we believe and what affiliations we have as church.
There are lots of misconceptions and beliefs that are floating through our culture today. You can attend a variety of churches and hear a variety of “takes” on what the Bible says. At WRBC, we as a congregation, are built on the foundation of the Bible, God’s Word.
Two simple principles drive our church:
L O V I N G G O D A N D L O V I N G P E O P L E .
We strive to be disciples of Jesus through this.
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
| Matthew 22:36 – 40 |
What We Believe
- Jesus Christ is the one and only Son of God who died for our sins and arose from the dead.
(1 Corinthians 15:1-8)
- The Bible is the inspired word of God – a lamp unto our feet and light unto our path. We believe it is authoritative in every dimension of life.
(2 Timothy 3:16)
- Forgiveness of sins and the promise of eternal life are available to those who trust Christ as Savior and Lord.
- Those accepting Christ should repent of sin, confess their faith and follow Christ in believer’s baptism.
(Romans 10:9; 13; Acts 2:38)
- The church is the body of Christ on earth and exists to evangelize the lost and edify the believers.
- Jesus Christ will one day return to earth and reign forever as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
(1 Thessalonians 4:13-18)
Westport Road is a Southern Baptist Church, constituted in October 1962. Westport Road Baptist Church was a mission effort of Lyndon Baptist Church in those 47 years Westport Road Baptist Church has grown to be one of the largest congregations in the state of Kentucky. Below you will find our main church affiliations:
Long Run Baptist Association, www.lrba.org.
The Long Run Baptist Association serves the churches in the Greater Louisville area. As a partnering Southern Baptist church we are involved in the on-going ministry objectives of the LRBA.
Kentucky Baptist Convention, www.kybaptist.org.
The KBC is a cooperative missions and ministry organization made up of more than 2400 autonomous Baptist churches in Kentucky.
The term KBC refers to both the denomination and its annual meeting. Working through 72 local associations and in cooperation with the Southern Baptist Convention, Kentucky Baptists share a common bond of basic Biblical beliefs and a commitment to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the entire world.
Southern Baptist Convention, www.sbc.net.
The SBC consists of more than 42,000 churches in the United States. Southern Baptists sponsor about 10,000 missionaries through the North American Mission Board(NAMB) and the International Mission Board(IMB).
Every SBC church is completely independent. There is no denominational control or hierarchy, as there are in most denominations. Each church is self-governed and determines its own affairs.
- Every SBC church chooses its own pastor.
- Every SBC church owns its own building and assets.
- Every SBC church determines its own programs.
By affiliating with the SBC it allows us to identify with other Christians around the world who are known for their commitment to the Bible. It also allows our church to participate in the largest missionary organization in the world. Through the SBC Cooperative Program we help support over 7,500 missionaries in 104 countries around the world.